Bloomington, Indiana Restaurant and Food Guide

Recommendations for dining and (and food in general) in Bloomingon, Indiana

3.17.2006

Restaurant Tallent

After wincing at this ugly gray cinder block building for over a year, we decided to take advantage of a special b1g1 deal. Granted it's not quite as hideous inside as outside, it's pretty bizarrely decorated to say the least. The enormous terrible paintings on the ground floor have been replaced with some photographs I paid no attention to. Our trip upstairs took us by what looked like a side tour of assembly hall (were they trying to make the stairwell look like a basketball?). Passing through the room of blood (solid dark red walls) we were sat in the padded toile back room. Well, yes it was kind of ridiculous. So, the food... It was very good. The potato soup starter my wife got was really good. I got a Roballo (spanish fish) with risotto and an herb "salse verde" It was done very well for the most part; some really nice flavors. The risotto was maybe a little pasty and the wilty spinach was midly unappealing. All and all it was not better than any food I've paid less than half the price for. My wife got the coq au vin. It was pretty good. Not having anything to compare it too, I can only compare it to ather food experiences. It was good, but not heavenly by any means. Our dessert, a plum and fig crisp with black pepper ice cream was OK. But the tough, meaty fruit lacked any real pleasant sweetness or fragrance. The ice cream was interesting, but didn't ring any bells either.

The service was fine I guess, but when she failed to bring me my dessert port the illusion of infallibility was finally dashed. What was left was a par dining experience like any other, but less fun.

We enjoyed our wine recommendation alot. But really? Not $9/glass great.

So, the $85 bill warrants some nitpicking criticism. It was kind of a fun outing in some respects; new territory and it's nice to treat yourself once in a while. But what could have been quite a fun adventure, was squelched in the end by a haut-culture pretensions and my inability to deal with face-to-face fine-dining jargon without finally getting annoyed.

Granted, I went in feeling like a rube street urchin in a house of manners, but I've come away feeling that for what we got and what we paid, the stilted, take-yourself-really seriously because this is fine-dining atmosphere isn't worth it. So, if you really love this kind of thing (a little too masochistic for me), I'd say everthing they say about it is probably true. I've had my go. Not convinced.

Location: 620 West Kirkwood Ave
Phone: 330-9801

2 Comments:

At 4/4/06, 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your review. It is fair and accurate. Only once of the three times I've eaten there has been worth it. I had NY Strip.

My starter was minestrone soup. Tasty, clear broth but the beans were undercooked, and I left them at the bottom of the cup. At first I thought they were peanuts. [yuck] My main course was Pappardelle with veal, and indistinct, mish mash of flavors. There were more bits of fat than bits of meat in the dish. I kept eating it, thinking the chef must have accidently threw meat scraps in.

Carrot cake for dessert. Yawn.

I tasted my companions' dishes. The salmon with currants and caulifower is delicious. I tried the fig/plum with black pepper ice cream. This is the most exoctic dessert I've ever eaten, so in addition to enjoying it as a novelty, I liked the flavor combination; however it is a heavy, wintery dessert.

Not impressed with service. Overall, I think something is amiss at Tallent.

 
At 6/30/06, 4:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did you notice that Tallent smells bad? I've been there 4 times in the past 4 months and each time the smell was there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home